I love making the Chicken with Spices recipe, and to be honest, I’ve only ever served it over this delicious mix of chana dal and short grain rice.
But then again, it’s so good, so why change up a good thing when you’ve got it! It’s to the point that we refer to the entire meal as just “Chicken and Chana Dal” and we know that it means making these two recipes.
This would also pair nicely with any other roasted chicken or white fish dish with some roasted vegetables.
¼ cup chana dal (can be ordered from Lisa and my favorite purveyor of dried goods, nuts.com)
¾ cup short grain brown rice
1 tablespoon oil or butter
4 whole cloves
1 clove chopped garlic
1 fresh green chili, chopped (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
3 cups water
1. Mix the dal and rice together in a bowl and thoroughly wash under running water
2. Drain the rice and dal and put aside.
3. In a medium-to-large pot heat the oil or butter over a low temperature.
4. Add the whole cloves, chopped garlic and the optional green pepper (for added
5. After 2 minutes or so, the cloves will begin to swell and release a sweet fragrance.
6. Immediately add the washed and rained rice and dal mixture.
7. Stir with a fork for 5 minutes and hten add the salt and turmeric
8. Tir for another 3 minutes to mix in all the salt and turmeric
9. Now add the water and cook covered over a low temperature for 45-50 minutes
until both grains are quite soft.
3 thoughts on “Chana Dal Kichadi”
This wonderful recipe comes from a book called Flavors of India – Recipes from the Vegetarian Hindu Cuisine by Shanta Nimbark Sacharoff. Lisa