Plum Tomatoes seem to be everywhere right now, so I recently bought up a big bunch at the farmer’s market and decided I would figure out what to do with them later. Sauteed in EVOO with lots of garlic and fresh basil, it makes a quick, easy and fresh tasting pasta sauce. Just add about 1/3 cup of the pasta water at the end plus some salt and frsh cracked pepper to taste. Drizzle with EVOO and add freshly shaved or grated parmesan or romano and wow!
I also thought I might make a Margherita Pizza, but I ended up oven roasting them instead. Kept in a glass jar, drizzled with some additional EVOO they will last for at least a week in the fridge or months in the freezer. I use roasted tomatoes in sauces, soups, on sandwiches and of course on pizza. You are only limited by your imagination.
Oven Roasted Plum Tomatoes
About 3 pounds of ripe plum tomatoes with the little core removed and quartered length-wise
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup EVOO
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- With your fingers (yes, get a bit messy, okay!) scoop out most of the seeds and excess gelled liquid
- On a shallow baking pan, lined with parchment paper, lay out the tomatoes cut side up in a single layer.
- Sprinkle wit the garlic mixed with the herbs. Drizzle with the EVOO.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees F. and bake for 20 more minutes, until carmelized.
- Turn off the oven, but leave the pan in the oven for 10 more minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
NOTE: Only add salt after cooking. The flavor will be too intense otherwise and too salty.