I was looking for something simple to bake to go with some lamb chops, salad and flageolet beans. I came across a small spiral cookbook on my shelf called “The Marvelous Muffin” and started going through it, looking for a recipe. I came across one for Cheddar Onion Muffins, made a few minor tweaks and quickly produced something that turned the meal from good to something special. I prepared all of the ingredients a few hours before dinner and kept the dry ingredients separate from the wet. When I was ready to bake, all I had to do was assemble things which took only a couple of minutes.
Cheddar Onion Muffins
Yield: 1 dozen muffins
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 Tablespoon Demerara Sugar
3 rounded Tablespoons fried onions that have been crumbled (these are the kind in a can or you can get really great onions from www.nuts.com.
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
6 ounces grated extra sharp cheddar cheese, with about 1/2 cup set aside (use a good block cheese and grate it yourself). You want 1.25 cups for the batter and 1/2 cup for the topping.
1 large egg
1.25 cups skim milk mixed with 1 teaspoon distilled vinegar or 1.25 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, fried onions, garlic powder and 1.25 cups cheese in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg and stir in the milk. quickly add the flour mixture and using a whisk, mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Do not over-mix.
- Fill the muffin cups about 3/4 full and top each muffin with the 1/2 cup of grated cheese.
- Bake for about 28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center and the cheese on top is golden.
- Turn out of the muffin tins but do not pile them on top of each other. The muffins are VERY moist and the weight of one muffin on top of another will squish them. These muffins do not need any additions to enjoy them.