Looking for a light, refreshing summer salad? This the answer to any steak or other rich, red meat dish that needs a zesty sidekick (though this also went very nicely with salmon).We made this originally to pair with our steak with corn salsa, and then quickly realized it went well with an assortment main meats.
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1.5 tbsp coarse grain mustard
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup of EVOO
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp minced chives
- 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp cornichons
- 1/2 tsp liquid from canned chipotles in adobo sauce (optional but if you have the chipotles from the steak recipe then why not?)
- 1 large daikon radish, about 8 oz, peeled and dice
- 1 bunch red radishes, sliced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios
- (optional but good if you’re repurposing leftovers) handful of mixed greens
- Place the egg in boiling water for 90 seconds using a slotted spoon.
- Take the egg out of the water, let it cool slightly. Tap the top of the egg to peel of the top of the shell and using a small tsp, carve out the egg from the shell (think of it as a flash soft boiled egg). Add to a food processor.
- Add the lemon juice, mustard, salt and the pepper and pulse or blend. With the motor running, add the olive oil until it is emulsified.
- Add the tomato paste, parsley, chives, capers, cornichons and the chili liquid and keep processing until well mixed.
- Separately, combine the radishes and celery in a large bowl. Add about 1/2 cup of the remoulade to coat completely and mix. (Save the remaining remoulade for seafood dishes or sandwich condiment. We still haven’t figure out what to do with our leftovers quite yet. Mainly because we forgot about it.)
- After mixing thoroughly, refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Prior to serving, add the pistachios and mix.
Adapted from the Wine Lover’s Cookbook.