At some point when I first started cooking, I loved using Mark Bittman’s books. He was all about only using a few ingredients and trying to distill complex recipes into simple ones. I bought a book that focused on easy meals and nearly forgot about it until I was digging around for something else and found it.
This is an easy salad that again just proves that a few ingredients can make for a delicious and impressive starter.
- Bunch or box of arugula or spinach
- 3-4 oz goat cheese (I like getting the herbed goat cheese logs)
- whole pecans or crushed pecans
- 1 orange, and its zest
- olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
- Set the oven to broil. Slice goat cheese into slices and press the crushed or whole pecans into the slices. Put the goat cheese and pecan slices on a pan and into the oven and broil until the tops of the pecans look charred, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the arugula (or whichever greens you choose) with the zest of an orange, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Peel and slices the oranges and toss in the salad.
- Serve the tossed greens and place the goat cheese slices on top. Serve immediately!
From Mark Bittman’s Kitchen Express.